It has been such a busy end of the year, but certainly one to remember! I am proud to share that 2016 was a year full of wonderful experiences and one in which I put myself out there and created a path for my career. Without further ado, here’s a list of my 2016 experiences in the library world :
March – June
- Started volunteering at the St. John’s Library in Austin
- Applied for the TWU SLIS program and got in!
- Created The Burgeoning Bibliothec blog to chronicle my adventures
- Received my first official library job at CPC
- Full time position and given a lot of responsibility as the second in command of the library.
- Started my SLIS program at TWU and loved every moment of it!
- Classes included:
- LS 5043-Information & Communication Technology
- LS 5083-Foundations of Library and Information Studies
- LS 5263-Information Sources and Services
- Classes included:
September – October
- Closing of Career Point College and an end to my position as a Library Assistant
- Decision made to have a focus in academic librarian and to become the Dean of a large university library.
- Joined the American Library Association
- Signed on as the ALA Student Chapter, Graduate Library and Information Studies Association (GLISA) President
- Opportunity to work with other great GLISA officers and full revamping of program.
- Met new library professionals and made decision to go for a second masters in
- Received my second library position as the Learning Resources Center Assistant at Strayer University
- Independently run the LRC as a librarian, career specialist, and research guru.
- Introducing new ICT, given a ton of special projects, management opportunities, and leadership experience.
- Nominated and received a spot in the ALA Student-to-Staff Program!
- Completed my first semester and received all A’s!!!
- Given more responsibility at Strayer:
- Asked to share experience and give advice to other LRCA’s
- Provide training materials
- Collaborated with the Director of the campus to create the first ever North Austin campus series of virtual orientations. This included many forms of ICT and a ton of testing on my part!
- Revving up for the Winter semester.
I hope everyone enjoys their New Year’s Eve. Cheers!